Although the early history of many telephone exchanges is hard to locate, one safe guess is that around 1900, in any little community with a store, rail depot, or school, several people purchased telephones and tied locations together to start a telephone company. Then, in 1947, Joe and Mildred Foster purchased the Miltonvale Telephone Company. 10 years later on February 27, 1957, Greenleaf Telephone was acquired and the two companies became Twin Valley Telephone. Incorporators of TVT were John G., Joe, and Lulu Foster.
The years have brought many changes to TVT – both through acquisitions and new technology. Until February 2006, Twin Valley served 2,000 customers over an 850 square-mile area of north-central Kansas. Maintaining the tradition of continual growth, the company completed the acquisition of 13 exchanges. With the acquisition, the company’s customer base grew to 6,600 customers over a 2,400 square-mile radius.
Twin Valley buried fiber to each home in all 13 new exchanges. This major investment allows residents to receive state-of-the-art communications and entertainment products, such as high-speed Pulse Internet and digital high-definition TV. The build out of the fiber network was completed in 2009.
In 2008, Twin Valley took on another large fiber to the home project in Clay Center. The company became a CLEC in Clay Center that provides telephone, digital TV, and Pulse Internet.
Today, fourth-generation family members play an active role in the day-to-day management and operations of the company.
For more than 70 years now, Twin Valley has been providing cutting-edge communication technology with superior customer service.